Would you like to use your event planning skills to advance liberty? The Mercatus Center at George Mason University is seeking an event manager with at least five years of event planning and program management experience, preferably with fundraising experience. The candidate should also be an entrepreneurial professional who enjoys both strategy and execution. This senior level position will report to the director of event strategy.
- Driving the management and strategy development for Mercatus program and development events.
- Coordinating closely with the executive director, director of event strategy and program teams to ensure events advance stated objectives, developing new metrics and enhancing existing metrics to increase event effectiveness.
- Building and managing relationships with current and existing vendors, speakers, event attendees, and internal constituencies.
- Supporting the director of event strategy on special projects and events as well as management and mentorship of a growing team.
- Overseeing and executing all aspects of mid-sized events from beginning to end, including venue selection and coordination, contract negotiation, program planning, marketing, and post-event measurement.
- Planning and executing marketing strategy for a co-hosted, annual conference for approximately 250 people.
- Five or more years of event planning experience in a fast-paced environment;
- Exceptional verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills, with a strong customer service orientation;
- An entrepreneurial spirit and strong work ethic, supported by commitment and follow-through;
- Experience generating new, viable ideas and revising/improving existing methodologies, programs, etc.;
- Organized, creative, adaptable, detail-oriented, and have a strong ability to prioritize;
- Superior time management and troubleshooting/conflict resolution skills;
- Principled, ethical, and committed to exceptional work quality and standards;
- An ability to travel domestically;
- Contract negotiation skills with hotels and vendors;
- Proficient using Microsoft Office suite and databases;
- A strong interest in the Mercatus Center’s mission; and
- Supervisory experience preferred.
Help us grow:
- Please submit your resume, a writing sample and a 350-word paragraph that tells us why you are a fit for this role at our organization.
- Please apply through our online application process.
- Flexible, professional, open office environment that encourages innovation and entrepreneurship and provides substantial opportunity for professional growth.
- Health and dental insurance coverage (which includes paying 100% of the health insurance premium and tax-free reimbursement of all deductible expenses, and paying 100% of the dental insurance premium).
- Flexible Spending Accounts, long-term disability and life insurance, 403(b) retirement savings program.
- One free course per semester at George Mason University (GMU).
About the Mercatus Center at George Mason University:
The Mercatus Center at George Mason University is the world’s premier university source for market-oriented ideas—bridging the gap between academic ideas and real-world problems. A university-based research center, Mercatus advances knowledge about how markets work to improve people’s lives by training graduate students, conducting research, and applying economics to offer solutions to society’s most pressing problems. Our mission is to generate knowledge and understanding of the institutions that affect the freedom to prosper and to find sustainable solutions that overcome the barriers preventing individuals from living free, prosperous, and peaceful lives. Founded in 1980, the Mercatus Center is located on George Mason University’s Arlington campus.